Admission Requirement(s): Applicants should hold a bachelorís degree in computer science, or if not, must have coursework (or commensurate experience) in object-oriented programming, data structures, algorithms, linear algebra and probability/statistics. The recommended undergraduate GPA for applicants applying to the Professional Masterís program is a 3.2/4.0 or higher. The Department of Computer Science does not require GRE scores for any of its graduate programs. Applications for the MCS do not require letters of recommendation, but they will be considered if included, especially if used to justify experience in lieu of required coursework, or other irregularities.
- Applicants must have been awarded (or are about to be awarded) a 4-year bachelorís degree equivalent to that granted by the University of Illinois to be eligible for the graduate programs at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Applicants whose undergraduate degree is a three-year program may not be eligible for graduate level admissions consideration at the University of Illinois. Eligibility depends on the country where the applicant received their degree -- please see the Graduate Collegeís list of eligible degrees.
- The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign requires applicants to hold at least a 3.0/4.0 or higher GPA in their undergraduate degree to be eligible for graduate studies on this campus.
- Applicants who already hold a masterís degree in computer science or computer engineering whose degree requirements are equivalent to a CS @ ILLINOIS masterís degree are not eligible to apply for our MS or Professional Master of Computer Science (MCS) degree.
- Starting with applicants seeking entry in Spring 2017, and going forward, CS @ ILLINOIS will not not require submission of official transcripts during the initial applications review process. Applicants will be required to submit official credentials (transcripts, academic records, diplomas, certificates of degrees, etc.) only if they are recommended for admission to the Graduate College at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Applicants recommended for admission will be required to submit their official transcripts directly to the Graduate College.
- The statement of purpose is part of the online application form. This statement should include your goals and background as it relates to the field of computer science. It is good to include any past work history, your interests, and reasons for pursuing a graduate degree in computer science. Your statement will be evaluated for your conciseness, reasons for pursuing a graduate degree, leadership skills, and eloquence. Applicants to our M.S. or Ph.D. program will also be evaluated according to their scientific research interests. Generally the statement of purpose is between one to two pages.